Just like anything worthwhile in life, conserving energy takes effort and above all… consistency. It’s not something you can do one day and then forget about…you have to develop the necessary habits or your good intentions will be wasted.
Here are some practical tips you can do today… to make conserving energy a part of your lifestyle.
- Turn off electricity when not in use. Seems easy enough, but it can be a real challenge unless you make it a daily choice to do it. Turning off the lights when you leave the room will do more than anything to reduce your wattage use and your power bill.
- Power strips. These babies are handy when you have a bunch of gadgets that you often forget to power down. Things like cells phones and electronic chargers. With power strips, you can just flip a switch and avoid turning them off individually.
- Green up your light bulbs. CFL bulbs are a great choice since they use only a third of the power to produce the same light. They also last a lot longer and will give you a big boost in energy savings.
- Energy Star Appliances. If you’re in the market for new appliances, look specifically for energy star products. These will cut 15% to 20% off your monthly energy consumption and are a great investment for long term savings.
- Attic Ventilation. Hot air that gets trapped in your attic will definitely increase the amount of energy you need to keep your house cool. Attic fans and low profile roof vents will vent the hot air from your attic and reduce the electricity needed, especially during our boiling-hot Oklahoma summers.
Remember, we’re all creatures of habit…that means we have to train our minds daily to change our lifestyle and conserve energy.
Begin doing the small things that make a difference now, and see how consistency creates great results.